Today’s January 6th Committee hearing showed that Ron Johnson actively tried to undermine democracy by handing Mike Pence a slate of fake electors.
Despite Johnson’s claims that he had “no involvement” in this effort, his words in the lead up to and the aftermath of the January 6th insurrection suggest otherwise.
- “Do not allow judges, don’t allow unelected election officials to usurp your role in this constitutional process. We are putting state legislators on notice.” — 1/4/21, Newsmax, Grant Stinchfield
- “This is the warning to state legislatures: if you don’t want your citizens, their votes, disenfranchised, not counted, step up to the plate. Assume your responsibility, take control over your own elections.” — 1/5/21, Fox News
- “Those who have lost confidence [in our elections] are not crazy. They are patriots.” — 1/7/21, Press Release, Senator Ron Johnson.
- “Many of the marchers were families with small children, many were elderly, overweight or just plain tired or frail. Traits not typically attributed to the riot-prone.” — 2/23/21, CNN
- “I never felt threatened. I didn’t foresee this.” — 2/15/21, WISN-AM, The Jay Weber Show
- “I don’t know any Trump supporters who would do that.” — 2/15/21, WISN-AM, The Jay Weber Show
- “But, the fact of the matter is, this didn’t seem like an armed insurrection to me.” — 2/15/21, WISN-AM, The Jay Weber Show
- “That’s exactly how [Democrats] used COVID in the 2020 election. We doubled absentee balloting and absentee balloting, we were told by the Baker Carter Commission, that it represented the greatest threat for voter fraud. … Which is why a lot of people don’t have a great deal of confidence in the result of that election.” — 12/6/21, Twitter